Mold is a type of fungus that feeds off decomposing plant or animal matter. It is present both indoors and outdoors. Mold spreads by releasing tiny spores into the air. When these mold spores are inhaled, an allergic reaction may result.
Mold can grow quickly in dark, humid indoor spaces, such as shower stalls, basements, garbage cans, refrigerators, cabinets, washing machines, carpets, and sheetrock. Mold is also prevalent outdoors, particularly in the Spring and Fall, when there are large numbers of dead leaves and other decaying plant matter.
Although outdoor mold allergies will be most noticeable in your dog during the Spring and Fall months, indoor mold can cause problems for your pet year round.
We live in Maryland, which can be very humid in the Summer. Mold can quickly grow in our bathrooms if we don’t keep on top of it. Unfortunately, mold can also be problematic in the Winter too. Our home is 100 years old and isn’t as tightly sealed as many new homes are today. When the days are particularly cold, we’ll see a build-up of condensation on basement walls and windows. These areas are excellent breeding grounds for mold.
When we had Elsie allergy tested, we learned that she was allergic to two different types of mold. Once we realized this, we became super indoor mold fighters. Suddenly these pesky mold discoveries took on a new significance in my life – they were hurting my dog and I needed to get rid of them. I’ll share some of my mold fighting tips a bit later when we discuss Allergy Treatments.