Topical sprays are sometimes diagnosed to control itching associated with atopic dermatitis in dogs. As an alternative to steroid treatment, topical sprays contain the corticosteroid triamcinolone, which is used to block substances that trigger an allergic response.
Topical Spray Benefits:
- Reduces itchiness due to allergies.
- May minimize need for steroid treatments.
- Can be used to minimize itching due to flea allergies.
Topical Spray Drawbacks:
- Does not help with hair loss, infections or other allergy-related symptoms.
- Helps to minimize symptoms, but doesn’t eliminate allergies.
Before we started Elsie on allergy shots, we regularly used Genesis Topical Spray on her red, inflamed paws. It seemed to help with her itching, although the spray tended to make her uncomfortable – I imagine it stung when it touched her raw feet. Genesis can be purchased from your veterinarian or through online pet medication sources, but does require a prescription.